My current research focuses on motivation and emotion in close relationships. I am particularly interested in how approach and avoidance social motives contribute to the course and quality of social interactions and close relationships. My research also examines the positive aspects of close relationships and their role in physical and emotional health.
- Close Relationships
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Algoe, S., Gable, S. L., & Maisel, N. C. (2010). It's the Little Things: Everyday Gratitude as a Booster Shot for Romantic Relationships. Personal Relationships, 17, 217-233.
- Dickerson, S. S., Gable, S. L., Irwin, M. R., Aziz, N., & Kemeny, M. E. (2009). Social-evaluative threat and proinflammatory cytokine regulation: An experimental laboratory investigation. Psychological Science, 20, 1237-1244.
- Gable, S. L., Gonzaga, G., & Strachman, A. (2006). Will you be there for me when things go right? Social Support for Positive Events. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 91, 904-917.
- Gable, S. L, & Poore, J. (2008). Which thoughts count? Algorithms for evaluating satisfaction in relationships. Psychological Science, 19, 1030-1036
- Impett, E., Strachman, A., Finkel, E. & Gable, S. L. (2008). Maintaining Sexual Desire in Intimate Relationships: The Importance of Approach Goals. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 94, 808-823.
- Maisel N. & Gable, S. L. (2009). The paradox of received social support: The importance of responsiveness. Psychological Science, 20, 928-932.
- Maisel, N., Gable, S. L., & Strachman, A. (2008) Responsive behaviors in good times and in bad. Personal Relationships, 15, 317-338.
- Gable, S. L. & Algoe, S. (2010). Being there when things go right: Support processes for positive events. Chapter to appear in K. Sullivan and J. Davila (Eds.) Support Processes in Intimate Relationships. Oxford University Press.
- Gable, S. L., & Berkman, E. T. (2008). Making connections and avoiding loneliness: Approach and avoidance social motives In A. J. Elliot (Ed.) Handbook of approach and avoidance motivation (pp. 203-216) Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Gable, S. L., & Reis, H. T. (2010). Good News! Capitalizing on Positive Events in an Interpersonal Context. In M. Zanna (Ed.) Advances in Experimental Social Psychology, 42, (pp. 198-257) Elsevier Press: New York
- Close Relationships
- Multilevel Modeling
- Social Psychology
Department of Psychology
3822 Psychology East
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, California 93106
- Phone: 805.893.2791
- Fax: 805.893.4303